#free business listing
You Can Still Get a Free Business Listing on Yahoo
December 23, 2015
About Eric Shanfelt
Eric is the Founder and CEO of Local Marketing Institute. He has over 20 years of experience in digital marketing with multiple B2B and consumer media companies. Eric also has a passion for local businesses. especially the local microbreweries in Northern Colorado where he lives.
Believe it or not, 1 out of every 8 searches in the U.S. are still done through Yahoo, so you want your local business to be properly represented there. Yahoo has gone through a lot of confusing changes recently, but the good news is you can still claim a free local business listing. Here s how.
Earlier this year, Yahoo announced it was spinning off its small business division into a separate company called Aabaco. They said the local business services would be branded under the name of Luminate. To further complicate things, Yahoo then outsourced management of its local business listings to Yext .
Now Luminate is gone, Yahoo Small Business has become Aabaco Small Business, and Aabaco outsources to Yext to manage local business listing under a product called Localworks.
Confused yet? You re not alone!
Don t worry about all of this. There s only one thing that s important here s how can still get a free local business listing on Yahoo.
How to Claim a Free Local Business Listing on Yahoo
- Go to Yahoo, search for your business, and you should see a link to Add or update your business .
- That link will take you to http://www.yext.com/pl/yahoo-claims/index.html (you can just go here directly if you prefer).
- Enter your business information and click Find My Listings .
- You ll then see page that is powered by Yext. It s a bit intimidating with an error rate and all of these warnings that you re not standing out and not verified through Yext. For now, don t worry about all of this, just click the big Continue button.
- Next, you can update the information about your listing. Complete this page fully and don t forget to use the same NAP (name, address, phone) that you use everywhere for your business. Click the Continue button when you re done.
- Yext will then present you with four paid plans, but immediately below these plans is a tiny link that says, Claim your Basic Listing only on Yahoo click that link.
- You re now at the Yahoo Basic Listing Checkout page. Complete the checkout and click Place Order (it s free).
- Yext will send you an email to verify your email address. Click the link, create a password, then login to your account.
- The final step is to verify you represent this business. The easiest method is to have them call you, but there are other methods as well.
That s it! You now have claimed and can manage your free listing on Yahoo.
Here s a video walk-through of the entire process.