Personally, my favorite questions are those which have me wide-eyed and wondering –Seriously? – when the answer gets revealed. Two that come to my mind:
1. What will be offered by Kashi Vishwanath temple in association with Shri Prakash Raghuvanshi?
This was asked by Pickbrain at Tata Corporate Crucible, Gurgaon in Sept 12. Now I have spent the last 4 years in Banaras (location of the temple) and I honestly thought this question lame (I mean could be any offering- clothes, jewellery, left-over temple flowers, exotic sweets). Until the answer was announced:
Ans: PACKAGED MANURE (1)
2. X has had over 43 pets including 21 dogs, 12 horses, 3 ponies, 6 cats, a parrot, a chimpanzee, a panda, a lion cub, a giraffe and a zebra.
AND… 80 careers everything from a rock star to a paleontologist to a presidential candidate.
Question asked in a school quiz in Dubai several years ago. The guesses ranged from Arnold Schwarzenegger, some Arab Sheikh, Elvis Presley. One team actually came very close to the actual answer with Sarah Palin! (2) Of course, the answer was:
Hard to pick one, but here are some of my favourites:
1. In 1928, AT T s Western Electric established a division for the specific purpose of installing and servicing their loudspeakers and electronic products for motion picture use. Called E.R.P.I. (Electrical Research Products, Inc.), it was purchased as part of a consent decree in 1936 by a group of E.R.P.I. executives, including George Carrington, Sr. and Mike Conrow. They changed the name to All Technical Service Company .
How do we know this company today?
Ans. Altec ( All Tech ) Lansing.
2. A person with ___________ is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.
What modern-day product takes its name from the above mentioned philosophy mostly because it is based on the same principle?
3. Started in 1945 by two friends Burt X and Irv Y. with the merging of their respective individual shops, XY has since become one of the leading companies that sell Z. It is distinctly recognized by its logo which contains a number – signifying the number of varieties of the product it sells.
Its new logo, revealed in 2005, is hailed by many as one of the most innovative logos of all time for its clever inclusion of the above mentioned number into it.
Ans: Baskin-Robbins (X-Y) and if you don t know what they sell, I suggest you go out more often.
A few questions which I really liked.
1.After India became independent in 1947, the Planning Commission was entrusted to oversee and direct the development of the nation. India grew rapidly in the 1950s, and in the late 1950s the Commission started facing difficulties in finding suitable people for the large number of enterprises that were being established in India as a part of its industrial policy. To solve this problem, the Planning Commission in 1959 invited Professor George Robbins of the University of California. What resulted?
2. The name of this website stems from a Hindi phrase used on anyone who attempts to achieve the impossible. Started by Wharton graduate Allwin Agnel in 2003, its mascot is named ‘Monsieur Green’. Which website?
3. The following table gives the exchange rates of a certain currency in three different denominations. Identify what has been blanked out.
4. In what way is this photo of Lord Pethick Lawrence and Mahatma Gandhi, taken on April 18, 1946 significant to this day? (Question Courtesy: Navin Rajaram )
5. As a part of the Windows Vista makeover what did Microsoft add to the game Minesweeper (blanked out in the pic shown below) and why?
6. Shown below is a character from an unique language which caused an outrage from a certain group when it was dropped from Wikipedia’s official logo in 2010.Which Language?
7. This is Hannah Steller photographed by her older brother, Dustin Steller. The photo was originally uploaded to iStockphoto in August 2005 as a result of which, it made her immensely popular all over the world.
How/what is she known as?
8. It was discovered that defects in the sphere from knicks and scrapes of normal use, could provide it with a truer flight than a pure sphere. Thus,makers started creating intentional defects in the surface by hammering to give it an evenly dimpled shape which would cause it to have a more consistent flight. Funda behind what?
9.This is a letter sent to ‘Lady Gaga’ by the firm she had previously threatened to sue for a certain product. What was the product and the controversy?
Further to our letter of 9th March, we note that we have not heard back from you or from your client Lady Gaga despite your demands that we respond to your letter by 4.00pm on 9thMarch.
In fact you have not even confirmed receipt of the letter which was emailed and delivered to you by hand.
As you will have noted from the contents of that letter, the product your client described as ‘nausea-inducing’ and ‘possibly unfit for human consumption’ was given a clean bill by the authorities last week.
We are therefore seeking your permission to re-launch our ______ in a way which will not offend, upset or distress your client in any way. As such we are holding a ‘Name the Baby’ competition and asking for the approval of one of the following names.
10. In an interview to Walter Issacson, when asked about life and death, Steve Jobs said Sometimes I don t. It s 50-50. But ever since I ve had cancer I ve been thinking about it more, and I find myself believing a bit more. Maybe that s because I want to believe in an afterlife, that when you die it doesn t just all disappear. The wisdom you ve accumulated, somehow it just lives on.” He further added that he implemented this philosophy in his products. What feature or rather minimalism was implemented in Apple products because of this?
(Please answer in comments. I hope that the answers can be can be worked out by a combination of knowledge and by a few assumptions. I would add the answers after a few people have attempted)
I would also like to add the biz questions (Twitter, Campbell s Soup, Ambergris and Kit Kat mail) from my answer to What are some of the best quiz questions you ve seen to this list as well.